Q: What’s a topic that makes you cringe when you talk about it, no matter when or where? A topic you should not avoid, but address so you can get ahead of any potential infestations?
A: Ticks: Yucky, blood-sucking, skin adhering, disease carrying and disgusting ticks.
It’s that time of the year again! The hot days are upon us and ticks are out roaming in your yard or on your pet’s back – let’s hope not. Thousands of pets are already unwillingly escorting one or more ticks into their homes. But how? Where are they picking up these unwanted visitors? How do you prevent fleas and ticks from adhering to your pet’s skin?
Embedded in this article are the answers to the above questions and more. Tevra Brands has been in the flea and tick business for many years. We know ways to keep those grubby ticks off of your pets and out of your home. Understanding where they live and where your pets have potential to pick them up is half the battle.
Here are the Top 5 places your pets pick up ticks:
1. Tall grass – Ticks love the warm, tall grass. Protect you pet before they head outside. Be cautious in woodsy areas and overgrown shrubs.
2. The dog park – Where there is grass and other furry friends, there will be ticks.
3. Fellow felines and canines – Other pets might have fleas and ticks. The last thing you want is for your pet to come home with some unexpected visitors. Watch out!
4. In your own backyard – It’s true. These blood-sucking parasites could be living in your own backyard!
5. Where it is hot and moist – Any place that retains heat might have some unwelcomed ticks. For example, inside a warm bird feeder or a shed might be a permanent home for ticks.
How can you prevent fleas and ticks from invading your pet?
Treat your pet with a flea and tick preventative like TevraPet Activate II for dogs or Vetality Firstect Plus for Dogs. Have a wonderful, flea-free summer! Please contact us if you have any questions about our trusted flea and tick topicals.